Frequently Asked Questions

Before arriving in Milan, and during your your course of study, you will have a number of questions about living and studying in Milan.
Below we have attempted to answer some of the most common questions that the International Students Office receives. The information is very general and most of the information in the answers can be found in the Essential Guide for International Students, and other pages in the International Students Office Website.

Please note that the information on this page is for guidance only, and should not be treated as a complete statement of the law. Always enquire about your personal circumstances.

Please make an appointment with ISO to discuss further. Write to iso@mip.polimi.it.

Visa application can usually be filed 3 months before your intended arrival in Italy. Students who start one of our masters in another EU country and hold a valid residence permit of that country, do not need to obtain a visa to enter Italy and continue their studies here. As mentioned, your Program Office will give you full details.

If your intended stay is longer than 90 days, together with your visa, you will need to have your original admission letter validated by stamp at the consulate. This is done at the same time as your visa. Please ensure that you have received it when collecting your visa as the original stamped document is required for the application for your residence permit, upon arrival in Milan.

Prior to arrival, you have to start the process for obtaining the Declaration of Value (Dichiarazione di Valore). This document officially attests the validity of your degree in Italy by comparing it with our education system. It is issued by Italian Diplomatic Authorities, printed on their headed paper, stamped and signed. This is obtainable at the Italian Embassy or Consulate responsible for the area of the city where you obtained your University Degree. The legalized document will enable you to officially become a Politecnico student and enjoy all the associated privileges.
Please refer to the Italian Consulate or Embassy for the list of required documents.

We recommend that you start the procedure months in advance of your arrival.

Yes, you can work part time up to 20 hours per week. You can take up internship with working hours not exceeding 40 hours per week.

No, you are NOT allowed to conduct your internship at any other Schengen countries with Italian permit of stay. Please contact the embassy or consolate of the relevant country for the detailed information.

Yes, Students with a study visa type D can travel throughout Italy and the Schengen area.

A permit of stay allows you to stay in Italy for the period covered by your permit and travel in all countries within the Schengen Area. On your Italian permit of stay, you can stay in another Schengen country for a maximum of 90 days.

With the postal receipt of your application for renewal of your permit of stay and your expired permit of stay you cannot travel in the Schengen area.

You may travel to your country of origin and re-enter Italy, provided that you do not travel through other countries in the Schengen area, even in transit.

Upon re-entry in Italy, you must have the postal receipt of your renewal application (assicurata), your expired permit of stay card and your valid passport. You will need a direct flight to Italy as you are not allowed to transit other Schengen countries.

Your permit of stay will be granted for a duration as covered by your funds only. If you have funds for 6 months only, you will obtain a permit extension for 6 months.

If you have an internship offer, instead of your enrollment certificates you will need to include your internship agreement.If it is a paid internship (at least Euro 450 per month), you won’t need to provide other proof of financial availability.

When obtaining your visa, Chinese students might be asked to enter Italy with a cheque for an indicated amount, which can cover their expenses in Italy. We have experienced that these students can have difficulties changing this cheque in Milan. We recommend that you obtain it at the Bank of China so that you will be able to exchange it at their Milan’s branch, located in the city centre.

Areas close to MIP include: Bovisa, Affori, Certosa/ Quarto Oggiaro/Villapizzone, Cadorna, Garibaldi, Porta Venezia, Centro, Fiera, Sempione, Repubblica, Stazione Centrale.
Unsafe areas include: Via Padova, Pasteur, Via Varesina, Baggio and Barona. Also, some streets in the Certosa Quarto Oggiaro and Villapizzone area, Central Station as well as Bovisa can be a bit unsafe, especially at night.

Ideally, travel time from your domicile to MIP should not exceed 45 minutes on public transport. Your contract should always be registered at the Taxation Office to be valid. Be wary of landlords not wanting to sign and register a contract. Use your best judgement to avoid fraud; negotiate a low payment prior to arrival and ask for your landlord id.

The Politecnico di Milano University Library Services comprise online resources and several libraries located in the different Campuses. Enrolled students are automatically enabled to use library services. You can access the Online resources at www.biblio.polimi.it.

The Canteen at the MIP campus, Mensa Pellegrini, is located at Via La Masa 34, Building 24. It functions as a café, self-service restaurant and pizzeria. Opening hours are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

There are a number of vending machines in the MIP Building and a small eating area at the ground floor. There is an eating area just outside the entrance to MIP, called
‘Break Point’, which has 7 microwaves available. More microwaves are located in Building B12, Via La Masa 34.

In Building 27 you will find 3 study areas. The canteen is also used as study room outside lunch hours, from 08:00 to 11:30 am, and from 2:30 to 4:30 pm.

go to all news